Team Mudlife Crisis

Come on in, and let's talk about taking on life as a middle-aged person who doesn't want to stop living! Obstacle course racing, diet, movement and exercise, and more are all fair game here!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Family Introduction
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

There are a ton of ways in which taking on a healthier lifestyle affects our families. Instead of seeing our family responsibilities as a hindrance to improving life, let's look at them as an opportunity to change the world around us by including our families in our changes!

This area is for talking about ways to do that. Sometimes it'll be a tough love situation, sometimes it'll be about proclaiming our successes and fun we're having with family! But family is something that we all should cherish, and this area is about helping each other to do that.

"When you’re committed to a long-term strategy, every step forward is part of a process and as such feels like instant gratification." - Erwan Le Corre

Post subject: Re: Family Introduction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:55 pm 

I include my family in most of my experiences. If they don't involve themselves directly, they are usually there to watch. My youngest boy is my shadow :D What I do, he does, so I always put some time aside for a slower workout that he can mimic, go on a shorter bike ride so he can tag along, or teach him different skills. I bought him a snowboard this Winter so we could shred together. He will sometimes sit in my "Zen Den" and stare at me meditate which in a way is his own version of sitting still and just "being". I have slung him over my shoulders in a child carrier and sumitted Mt. Carleton in New Brunswick, Canada. My Wife, Son "Hiker" and I do a lot of camping and back country canoeing as a family unit. Family is what drives me to be a better person and a role model for my kids. There is nothing better than family. :D

Post subject: Re: Family Introduction
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

TheGingerBack wrote:
I include my family in most of my experiences. If they don't involve themselves directly, they are usually there to watch. My youngest boy is my shadow :D What I do, he does, so I always put some time aside for a slower workout that he can mimic, go on a shorter bike ride so he can tag along, or teach him different skills. I bought him a snowboard this Winter so we could shred together. He will sometimes sit in my "Zen Den" and stare at me meditate which in a way is his own version of sitting still and just "being". I have slung him over my shoulders in a child carrier and sumitted Mt. Carleton in New Brunswick, Canada. My Wife, Son "Hiker" and I do a lot of camping and back country canoeing as a family unit. Family is what drives me to be a better person and a role model for my kids. There is nothing better than family. :D

l love it. I think there's a disconnect for some people between doing things like OCR and doing things with your kids. If you, as an adult, are doing something like this, it's assumed you're not doing things with the family.

But the races have really made stuff so accessible to whole families now that it's too easy to just bring everyone along to have fun! Tough Mudder, Spartan, and Battlefrog (at least) have kids' races (so does our local Mud Ninja race that I've mentioned on many occasions) so there's no reason that everyone can't do this stuff together.

I'm a firm believer that we can have our own physical challenges in life without excluding our families from it - I work out with my kids, share ways to do just that, and encourage ways of working out that are inclusive and family friendly as much as possible for just that reason.

A lot of it just comes down to shifting your paradigm on this stuff. Getting exercise need not mean taking time away from family. In fact, it's more fun and effective when it's done together, I think. :) You just need the techniques and the ideas.

"When you’re committed to a long-term strategy, every step forward is part of a process and as such feels like instant gratification." - Erwan Le Corre